Activities of the Executive Committee
Next Scheduled Meeting:
8 May 2017
Activities will be posted approximately 1 week after each meeting.
Last met on:
10 April 2017
Present: Claire Currie, Omar Ghattas, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Louis Moresi, and Frederik Simons
Absent: Magali Billen
The following institutions were approved for membership:
- University of Kentucky
- University of Toronto
- Feedback on CIG Speaker Series website
- Changes to Annual Report
6 March 2017
Present: Magali Billen, Claire Currie, Omar Ghattas, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Louis Moresi, and Frederik Simons
The meeting focused on:
- Changing format of Annual Business Meeting
- Inactive Institutional Member Representatives
- Retaining flexibility in long term scheduling of CIG meetings
- Targeted audience and speakers for CIG Distinguished Speaker Series
- Response to NSF RFI on Future Needs for Advanced Cyberinfrastructure to Support Science and Engineering Research
6 February 2017
Present: Magali Billen, Katie Cooper, Claire Currie, Omar Ghattas, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Louis Moresi, and Frederik Simons
- Election of Chair Omar Ghattas; Vice Chair, Louis Moresi
- Working Group membership. Recommendation for 3 year terms that are renewable.
- Long term scheduling of CIG meetings - working groups and organizational-wide.
- Criteria for CIG Distinguished Speaker Series and joint EC & SSC committee for selection of speakers and venues.
- Criteria for travel support for collaborative code development. Applications to be reviewed twice a year by SSC.
27 October 2016
Present: Brad Aagaard, David Bercovici, Magali Billen, Omar Ghattas, Lorraine Hwang, and Louise Kellogg
- Upcoming AGU Business Meeting
- DOIs for software
- Report back on slate of candidates for 2016 Elections
- Update on partnerships with IRIS and potential workshop with CSDMS
- CIG'16 Survey results
8 September 2016
Present: Brad Aagaard, David Bercovici, Magali Billen, Bruce Buffett, Omar Ghattas, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, and Louis Moresi
- Selection of Nominating Committee
- Partnership with IRIS
- Joint meeting with Canadian Geophysical Union 2018
3 February 2016
30 November 2015
Present: Brad Aagaard, Bruce Buffett, Claire Currie, Omar Ghattas, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Scott King
Absent: David Bercovici
- Approved Institutional Membership for the Carnegie Institute of Science and International Affiliate for University of Mainz
- Declined request for support from the Princeton seismology graduate group
- Topics, themes and tutorials for 2016 CIG All Hands meeting
- Discussion topics for 2015 Annual Business Meeting
- CIG's role in HPC
7 October 2015
- 2015 All Hands Meeting
- 2015 Annual Business Meeting
- Staffing Update
28 April 2015
25 March 2015
17 February 2015
Present: Brad Aagaard, Wolfgang Bangerth, David Bercovici, Bruce Buffett, Claire Currie, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Scott King
Absent: Omar Ghattas
- Approved support for students and post docs to attend the XIV International Workshop on Modeling of Mantle and Lithospheric Dynamics.
- PISM donation, action pending SSC recommendations
- The role of grand challenges in CIG III
- CIG II accomplishments
30 January 2015
17 November 2014
Present: Brad Aagaard, Wolfgang Bangerth, Claire Currie, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Scott King
Absent: David Bercovici, Bruce Buffett
- CIG in collaboration with researchers at UCD has been selected by campus to submit a proposal to the NSF MRI program.
- The Geodynamo Working Group has been granted an INCITE Award and will receive 83 million core-hours on Mira in Year 1.
- The CIG III Writing Committee will get together in early January. A general outline for the proposal was discussed and approved.
- MC and LTT Working group members will be updated.
02 September 2014
- The paper on the donated code Burnman as been published and was recommended to list as a seismology code. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2013GC005122
- Positioning CIG has been released to the community.
- UC Davis / CIG was recently awarded a 2 yr EAGER grant - EAGER: Development of software citation methodology for open source computational science
- Rowena Lohman, Marc Speigelman and Gary Glatzmaier have accepted positions on the 2014 Nominating Committee
- It was recommended that the CIG III Proposal Writing Committee by compose of 2 CIG HQ staff (PI +1), 2 EC, 2 SSC and 2 at large members.
- One-pagers will be solicited from the community.
19 August 2014
Present: Brad Aagaard, Wolfgang Bangerth, David Bercovici, Bruce Buffet, Claire Currie, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Scott King
- University of Alberta was approved by consensus for membership as an International Affiliate.
- Prospective Nominating Committee members will be contacted to serve.
- External Advisory Board - Agenda and Format
- Potential RCN joint with IRIS (lead) and LLNL
- Preliminary discussions on CIG III - writing committees and schedule
25 April 2014
Present: Brad Aagaard, Wolfgang Bangerth, David Bercovici, Claire Currie, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Scott King
Absent: Bruce Buffett
- External Advisory Panel to convene late Summer/early Fall
- 2014-15 Operational Plan and Budget
27 March 2014
- Approved ASPECT “hack-a-thon” to be held at TAMU
- Accepted meeting report of LTT-EarthScope workshop
- Provided feedback on CIG Positioning Document
27 February 2014
Present: Brad Aagaard, Wolfgang Bangerth, Bruce Buffett, Lorraine Hwang, Louise Kellogg, Scott King
Absent: David Bercovici, Claire Currie
- Voted to accept AxiSEM as a donated code,
- Will send suggestions for Strategic Objectives and Actions to the document developed from the January leadership retreat
- CIG will recirculate incorporating other feedback for next meeting
18-20 January 2014
- Draft a Strategic Plan by late Spring 2013
- Mission, Visions and Core Values along with Straregic Objectives.
Contact the EC.