cig_logo.png

Crustal Deformation Modeling Workshop Agenda

Agenda for the June 26-30, 2017, Crustal Deformation Modeling Tutorials and Workshop

Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO


Tutorials

About 60% of the time will be devoted to tutorial lectures with instructors providing background information and running examples. The other 40% of the time will be devoted to "tinker time" during which participants can run the examples at their own pace, develop their own simulations, and get help from the instructors.

Tutorial slides will be posted on the PyLith Wiki (videos of the presentations will be posted here too).

A description of the software tools and general workflow used in crustal deformation modeling is available in the Short-Term Crustal Dynamics Work Area under General Information. Tutorials will cover the use of PyLithCUBIT/Trelis, and ParaView. There will also be discussion of some other modeling tools during the Science Talks.

Beginner Tutorials

Beginner tutorials for PyLith and CUBIT/Trelis will not be offered at the workshop. Beginner users should work through the extensive set of examples in the PyLith manual and online tutorial.

Thursday June, 15, 1:00pm - 3:00pm PDT: PyLith/CUBIT Introduction and Help Session

This online help session will give new users a brief introduction to PyLith and CUBIT/Trelis and provide the opportunity to ask questions. This is intended to complement the use of the extensive documentation available via the PyLith user manual and online tutorials.

  1. Introduction to PyLith (60 min, slides, video)
  2. Example: examples/3d/hex8/step03 (video)
    1. Generating the mesh in CUBIT (30 min)
    2. Running PyLith (30 min)
    3. Visualization of output using ParaView (15 min)
  3. Q&A

Monday - Intermediate Tutorials (TENTATIVE: subject to change)

These tutorials will provide a discussion of intermediate PyLith/CUBIT topics. Prior to the workshop users should have installed the software and worked through the examples provided in the PyLith manuals. PyLith users familier with previous releases are encouraged to attend to become familiar with the major changes from v2.1.5 to v3.0.0.

7:00am - 8:00am
Breakfast at conference center
8:00am - 8:15am
Introduction and overview of tutorials, Brad Aagaard
8:15am - 9:00am
PyLith and CUBIT/Trelis Refresher, Brad Aagaard (slides)
9:00am - 10:30am
PyLith/CUBIT: Viscoelastic Relaxation for a 2-D Subduction Zone, Charles Williams (slides, video)
10:30am - 12:00pm
Group Exercise
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Lunch
1:00pm - 2:00pm
CUBIT/Trelis: Meshing and Faults, Brad Aagaard (slides, video)
2:00pm - 3:00pm
Group Excercise
3:00pm - 4:00pm
TBD, Charles Williams (slides, video)
4:00pm - 5:00pm
Group Excercise
5:30pm
Dinner on your own

Tuesday - Intermediate Tutorials (TENTATIVE: subject to change)

These tutorials will build upon the topics discussed on Monday.

7:00am - 8:00am
Breakfast at conference center
8:00am - 8:05am
Overview of tutorials, Brad Aagaard
8:05am - 9:30am
Troubleshooting PyLith simulations, Brad Aagaard (slides, video)
9:30am - 9:45am
Break
9:45am - 11:00am
TBD, Charles Williams (slides, video)
11:00am - 12:00pm
Tinker Time

Dedicated time for running example problems or benchmarks that are distributed with respective codes. This is the primary opportunity to interact with developers one-on-one.

12:00pm - 1:00pm
Lunch
1:00pm - 2:30pm
TBD, Brad Aagaard (slides, video)
2:30pm - 4:00pm
Tinker time
4:00pm - 5:00pm
Introduction to Multiphysics in PyLith: Poroelasticity, Charles Williams (slides, video)
5:30pm
Dinner on your own

Wednesday - Science Talks and Discussions (TENTATIVE: subject to change)

7:00am - 8:00am
Breakfast at conference center
8:00am - 8:15am
Introduction and overview of workshop, Brad Aagaard
8:15am - 8:30am
Participant introductions
8:30am - 10:30am
Session I
10:30am - 11:00am
Break
11:00am - 12:00pm
Session II
12:00pm - 12:05pm
Airport transportation optimization (for departing)
12:05pm - 12:45pm
Lunch
12:45pm - 2:00pm
Tinker Time
2:00pm - 4:00pm
Session III
4:00pm - 5:30pm
Lightning Talks and Poster Session
5:30pm
Dinner on your own

Thursday - Science Talks and Discussions

7:00am - 8:00am
Breakfast at conference center
8:00am - 10:00am
Session IV
10:00am - 10:30am
Break
10:30am - 12:00pm
Breakout Discussions
12:05pm - 12:45pm
Lunch
12:45pm - 2:00pm
Tinker Time
2:00pm - 4:00pm
Session VI
4:00pm - 5:30pm
Poster Session
5:30pm
Dinner on your own

Friday - Science Talks and Discussions

7:00am - 8:00am
Breakfast at conference center
8:00am - 10:00am
Session VII
10:00am - 10:30am
Break
10:30am - 11:30am
Reports from Breakout Discussions
11:30am - 12:00pm
Wrap up, Brad Aagaard
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Lunch
1:00pm - ?
Tinker Time
Sign In