[aspect-devel] Aspect deal.ii version

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:57:07 PST 2011

> OK, I committed the changes.  Hopefully this won't cause problems with other compilers but I think it should be fine.

This works on my machine, thanks for the fix!

> Also, one of the students here wants to use Aspect to study the
 > interaction of mantle convection with the lithosphere.  For this
 > I think he needs variable viscosity and density, as well as the
 > ability to refine specified regions of the model.  I believe Thomas
 > is doing something involving variable density, but it is also
 > possible to model variable viscosity in Aspect?

Yes. The Steigenberger model Timo and Rene Gassmoeller implemented last
Friday has both variable viscosity and density. (And Thomas's model has
variable density.) So I think that is relatively simple.

As for refinement: if you know where you want to refine that's simple --
take a look at the step-1 tutorial program in deal.II, for example.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu