[aspect-devel] Particle related error when running on more than 1 node

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 22 18:53:04 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I came across an error that appears to be associated with tracking of particles across multiple nodes:
	Exception on MPI process <0> while running postprocessor <N6aspect11Postprocess11ParticleSetILi2EEE>:
       An error occurred in line <484> of file <source/postprocess/tracer.cc> in function
	   void aspect::Postprocess::ParticleSet<dim>::check_particle_count() [with int dim = 2]
      The violated condition was:
	   global_particles==global_sum_particles
      The name and call sequence of the exception was:
          ExcMessage ("Particle count changed.") Additional Information: Particle count changed.
      Aborting!

I received this error when I tried to run a model on 32 threads across 2 nodes.  I am currently running the same model successfully on 16 threads across 1 node.  The attached file (bkb1Ra1e8.o6876) contains the full error output.  The error also generated a number of "core" files in the model directory.  I last updated aspect through svn update two weeks ago, but this is perhaps an issue specific to deal.ii?

Cheers,
John