[aspect-devel] Statistics file is easily deleted during model run

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 27 11:59:48 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I've come across an issue with the statistics output file being easily deleted during a model run.  In the example below, I copied a statistics file from an active run to a new file, which deleted all of its contents:

	naliboff >> du -sh bkb1Ra1e5/output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics
	5.1M	bkb1Ra1e5/output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics
	naliboff >> cp bkb1Ra1e5/output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics stat
	naliboff >> du -sh bkb1Ra1e5/output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics
	0	bkb1Ra1e5/output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics
	naliboff >>

The copy of the statistics file also has no contents:
	naliboff >> du -sh stat
	0	stat
	naliboff >>

The same thing has definitely happened when I've open a statistics file with vi from an active model.

Doing "du -sh" within the same folder as the statistics file may also erase the contents:
	naliboff >> du -sh output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics
	0	output_bkb1Ra1e5/statistics
In the above case, at least, I don't remember going into the output folder prior to this morning, but another nefarious unix command may have killed the statistics file and I just don't remember.

Anyhow, I guess one solution to this problem is to not do any operation on the statistics file until the model is done running.

However, often times I want to plot some of the values within the statistics file during a run.  In that case, is there a way around the apparent sensitivity of the statistics file to various unix commands?

I guess another question is whether this issue is specific to the cluster I'm running aspect on at Davis.

Cheers,
John