[aspect-devel] Aspect Timer

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Thu May 3 19:03:01 PDT 2012

> Related to this, should we have some sort of timer synchronization
> for parallel runs with Aspect?  Timo added the timer for
> checkpointing but it didn't record this section timing correctly
> until I added an MPI_Barrier.  This could potentially cause confusion
> in the future.

This causes a barrier before and after every timed section. I guess we
have few enough that this wouldn't matter. What do you think, Timo?

As to how to do that: The TimerOutput class builds on the Timer class
that in MPI mode allows for an MPI_Comm object and a flag that
determines whether a barrier should be placed around timed sections.
However, these timer objects are currently generated inside
TimerOutput::enter_subsection in the block where we check whether such a
section has already been created. To do what you want to do the
TimerOutput class should also take an MPI_Comm object and the flag and
use it in TimerOutput::enter_subsection to initialize the Timer object
(which currently is default initialized).

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu