[aspect-devel] Time dependent visualization

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Wed May 30 06:56:02 PDT 2012

All,
deal.II has just gotten a piece of code that allows to describe which
files of a simulation belong together in the time stepping order. To
this end, we now generate a file output/solution.pvd that should look
like this:

<VTKFile type="Collection" version="0.1" ByteOrder="LittleEndian">
   <Collection>
     <DataSet timestep="0" group="" part="0"
file="output/solution-00000.pvtu"/>
     <DataSet timestep="393810" group="" part="0"
file="output/solution-00001.pvtu"/>
     <DataSet timestep="629130" group="" part="0"
file="output/solution-00002.pvtu"/>
     <DataSet timestep="827921" group="" part="0"
file="output/solution-00003.pvtu"/>

The idea is that with paraview you should be able to loop through all
timesteps at once and even get the simulation time shown correctly. I've
just put this into Aspect as well but I don't have Paraview installed
here -- can someone try this out for me and let me know if something
doesn't work?

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu