[aspect-devel] Radial gravity value in spherical models

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 25 07:54:49 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been running some 2D and 3D spherical models and just noticed what's probably a small bug somewhere in the post-processing section of the code.

In the example input file simple_2d_shell.prm, the radial gravity value is specified as follows:
  subsection Radial constant
    # Magnitude of the gravity vector in $m/s^2$. The direction is always
    # radially outward from the center of the earth.
    set Magnitude = 9.81
  end

In the .o file output during the run, this is not the listed value for gravity:
   Postprocessing:

     Reference density (kg/m^3):                    3300
     Reference gravity (m/s^2):                     7.714e+13
     Reference thermal expansion (1/K):             4e-05
     Temperature contrast accross model domain (K): 3300
     Model domain depth (m):                        2.855e+06
     Reference thermal diffusivity (m^2/s):         1.13939e-06
     Reference viscosity (Pas):                     1e+22
     Ra number:                                     6.86297e+19
     k_value:                                       4.7
     reference_cp:                                  1250
     reference_thermal_diffusivity:                 1.13939e-06

So it seems the correct gravity value is not being accessed in the post-processing section of the code.  The model would not run with Ra = 1e19, so it almost certainly seems to be restricted to post-processing.

The calls to access the gravity value in velocity_statistics.cc and table_velocity_statistics.cc
seem to work fine for the box models, so I'm not sure where the source of the error lies.

Let me know if I can pass on any more info.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Postdoctoral Scholar
Geology Department
University of California, Davis
Earth and Physical Sciences Bldg., Rm. 2119
Davis, CA 95616