[aspect-devel] AGU meeting feedback

Juliane Dannberg dannberg at gfz-potsdam.de
Sat Dec 28 12:30:06 PST 2013

Hi Timo,
>>> - C.T. showed in his talk (hereby attached) that the Rayleigh-Taylor
>>> experiment as
>>> presented in van Keken et al. (JGR 1997) run with ASPECT yields
>>> abnormal results. It is of course understood that this experiment
>>> does not constitute a true benchmark since no analytical solution is
>>> known, but having a look at ASPECT's results vs. the results obtained
>>> with many other codes over the past 15 years leads to the inescapable
>>> conclusion that ASPECT (as provided to the user in version r1889)
>>> is the most 'off' in terms of second Vrms peak location and height.
>>> Even more worrying is the lack of convergence to stable results
>>> when resolution is increased.
>>> Despite varying many parameters this puzzling effect could not be
>>> eliminated.
>>> Since many users are currently busy studying plume dynamics, it is our
>>> belief that this problem should be addressed within the briefest delay.
> I would be interested in rerunning this exact setup. Cedric, can you
> please send me the .prm?
>
> A couple of things that come to my mind:
> 1. Are these tests using the intel compilers? We have been struggling
> with intel compiler bugs with the latest deal.II release and I am not
> trusting the compiler settings we used before 8.1 (which we in the
> process of releasing right now)
> 2. Could the second peak be initiated by an instability that depends
> on the mesh? All the runs are on a mesh with an even number of
> elements. It would be easy to test this by changing the geometry model
> to call subdivided_hyper_rectangle() with an odd number of repitions
> instead of hyper_rectangle().
> 3. What is that strange smearing at the top right half (starting at
> t=1000 on slide 15) on the bottom of the plume? This looks
> non-physical to me.
Just a short answer concerning your questions about the van Keken
Benchmark:
(1) Cedric sent his input file to some of the aspect users and we tested
it on different machines (among others I ran the benchmark on Wolfgang's
machine with his deal.ii when I was in Texas, although back then I did
not know it was the van Keken benchmark), and there was no difference in
the results. I can attach the .prm file that Cedric sent to us.
(2) I also tried an adaptive mesh and the second peak was still too
early (however, I did not check yet if it converged to any solution).
Finally, I thought about which methods were different in aspect compared
to other codes and changed the timestepping scheme (I just used the old
solution everywhere where aspect normally uses BDF2 to extrapolate), but
this did not change the solution either.
I agree this is a problem we should resolve as soon as possible and when
I get back to work in one week I would like to run some more tests, e.g.
I would like to try Wolfgang's idea with setting cR to infinity.

Cheers,
Juliane

PS: Timo, I heard you might be there at CIDER next year? I considered
going there as well, as I heard they might want to use aspect.

---