[aspect-devel] AGU meeting feedback

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Tue Dec 31 06:50:57 PST 2013

Okay, sometimes it helps to look at the output:
http://i.imgur.com/0o9ojFa.png
these are two runs, on the left with 5 global refinements and 6 on the right.

So, not only does the second peak occur at a different time, it is a
plume that rises from a different location (see t=600).

Why does this happen? It looks like the plume on the left comes from
the first staircase (on the right) in the initial condition. Now it
makes sense that the solution is dependent on the mesh size. We
obviously do a poor job with a good initial condition for the
compositional field.

I guess we could solve this by:
- asking the user to only input "smooth" initial conditions
- implementing smoothing/reinitialization for fields