[aspect-devel] Thermodynamic consistency of Aspect's temperature and momentum equations

Thomas Geenen geenen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 03:28:19 PST 2013

he Timo,

there is no such thing as adiabatic heating in the incompressible
Boussinesq case Di (alpha*g/cp) is assumed zero .
for extended Boussinesq there should also be no problem since there is no
density in the net adiabatic heating term.

setting  thermal diffusion, viscous dissipation and internal heating to
zero (dS/dt=0) we end up with
rhocp(dT/dt) - alphaTdP/dt=0
or
rho*cp*(dT/dt) - alpha*rho*g*u_r*T=0

this will give for an adiabatic temperature profile
T(r) = T_0*exp(alpha*g*r/cp)

iow the density does not play a role since its devided out of the equation.

this also holds for the compressible case i would say.

cheers
Thomas