[aspect-devel] Thermodynamic consistency of Aspect's temperature and momentum equations

Katrina Arredondo karredondo at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 13 10:18:39 PST 2013

Hi,

  I haven't worked much with Aspect but I do know about the governing
equation approximations.

  The viscous dissipation and adiabatic heating terms will only
perfectly cancel each out in the ALA governing equation. The TALA
equations cause the viscous dissipation term to be a little bigger(?)
than the adiabatic term. This is explained in the Leng and Zhong, 2008
paper I've attached.

  In CitcomS, the incompressible Boussinesq has no viscous dissipation
and adiabatic heating terms. The extended Boussinesq approximation has
those two terms, with an adiabat but is still incompressible. TALA is
compressible but assumes something about the pressure (can't
remember), which separates it from ALA. ALA and the full pressure term
is too hard to solve for numerically so we tend to stick with those
other approximations.

 - Katrina Arredondo