[aspect-devel] Compositional fields with different densities and viscosities

Glerum, A.C. (Anne) A.C.Glerum at uu.nl
Tue Jan 29 06:14:32 PST 2013

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll have a go at producing a new postprocessor by adapting the velocity statistics one.

I did run into a problem with a model considering 8 compositional fields; it got stopped because it was exceeding the allowed virtual and physical memory usage.
I restarted the same run, but with a CLF number of 1.0e-6. Hence, the number of elements, degrees of freedom, global mass etc is constant. However, the memory usage keeps increasing (see snapshot).
A similar increase is seen for a high resolution, uniform and constant grid Rayleigh-Taylor instability using 1 compositional field and material model simple.cc, only then the usage doesn't exceed the limit.
Do you have an idea about the cause of this memory runaway?

Thank you,

Anne

[cid:753E56BE-4AD5-4D60-A4FE-583EA32227C1 at geo.uu.nl]

Anne Glerum, MSc | PhD candidate | Department of Earth Sciences | Utrecht University|  Budapestlaan 4, 3584 CD Utrecht | Room Z.204 | A.C.Glerum at uu.nl<mailto:D.J.J.vanHinsbergen at uu.nl> |