[aspect-devel] Difficulties with tracers and material model

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 7 09:37:03 PDT 2013

Hi Adriaan,

I wrote the tracer code so I can answer any questions about that.  The tracer code does abort if particles fall out of the mesh since it assumes the system is closed in terms of mass.  If CFL>1 then it's entirely possible for a particle to move past the boundaries of the model but it seems this would also cause other problems with the model.  If you want particles to be able to fall out of the system without causing an abort, you can comment out the AssertThrow in check_particle_count() but you should make sure this is the correct behavior for your model.

Good luck,

-Eric