[aspect-devel] Progress in writing the mantle convection code Aspect

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 16 04:14:11 PDT 2013

On 10/16/2013 02:04 AM, Thomas Geenen wrote:
> why not use this interface for gsl to sprng?
>
> http://darrenjw.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/getting-started-with-parallel-mcmc/
>
> this will give you a proper parallel random distribution
> i used it in a parallel spde code to generate the random forcing term in parallel.

It has the disadvantage of external dependencies (actually two) with the
corresponding difficulty of installation :-(

The advantage I see for my suggestion yesterday was that all we need to do is
*replicate* a sequential distribution on every processor and just take a small
slice of it. That's going to be a problem with a million processors, but given
that computing a single random number is not all that expensive compared to
generating a particle on the current processor, I think it will not be a
bottleneck at 1000 cores, for example. It also has the advantage of zero
communication.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu