[aspect-devel] Progress in writing the mantle convection code Aspect

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 16 11:43:41 PDT 2013

Hi Katrina,

I agree with Wolfgang that using active fields is a better choice for this (sorry - one of the
many things we need to be talking about as you get more into ASPECT). I talked with
Wolfgang about this at some meeting (?) a couple years ago.  Using active fields will
be much less costly computationally than using tracer particles.  In CitcomS, we can't
using active fields because the advection scheme that is there for temperature (which
one might copy for active fields) leads to over/undershoots at the field boundaries
when you have a non-diffusive field.  The scheme in ASPECT is quite different and my
understanding is that it doesn't have this problem.

Magali