[aspect-devel] Progress in writing the mantle convection code Aspect

Rene Gassmoeller rengas at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Oct 17 01:57:05 PDT 2013

As I remember, the last time we changed the default stabilization
parameters was a year ago, when we unified the chemical field and
temperature field handling. At that time I tried to find parameters that
where as low as possible to prevent unnecessary diffusion in benchmark
cases like Rayleigh-Taylor and Stokes sphere. With this, we wanted to
show that chemical fields can be advected with very little diffusion.
The resulting overshooting in the first time steps (5-10% in the
beginning for a quite sharp interface sounds like the values I got
there) seemed to decay over time, so I was fine with that.
It is always possible to increase beta (or Cr if the overshooting grows
over time) at the cost of a bit higher numerical diffusion to reduce the
overshooting, so if you are fine with that, feel free to test it. The
best choice of beta and Cr is always a bit dependent on the model
parameters, but of course we can discuss, whether we should increase
them by default.

Best
Rene