[aspect-devel] Progress in writing the mantle convection code Aspect

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:46:09 PDT 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 11:40 AM, Timo Heister wrote:

> I think the defaults are pretty good as is and I am sure that the best
> parameters depend on the problem.
> It sounded like Eric made an "evil" example where a larger value is
> acceptable and that is why I mentioned the option to increase the
> parameters. I mean if the only measure is the amount of overshoot, we
> can just do an O(1) first order diffusion and smear everything out.
> :-)

I've attached a sample parameter file developed by Ted where the overshoot is visible from an inclusion.  You can see the results at:

http://heien.org/overshoot_inclusion.mp4

This includes the temperature profile through the vertical domain center over time.  I've also attached a graph of the max/min temperatures.  You can see the over/undershoot goes to around 8-10% in the first few steps and decreases soon after, but it never fully disappears.