[aspect-devel] Progress in writing the mantle convection code Aspect

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 17 18:56:16 PDT 2013

> It sounded like Eric made an "evil" example where a larger value is
> acceptable and that is why I mentioned the option to increase the
> parameters. I mean if the only measure is the amount of overshoot, we
> can just do an O(1) first order diffusion and smear everything out.
> :-)

To everone's surprise, Jean-Luc Guermond showed that the first order diffusion
is not actually monotone (i.e., that over/undershoots can not be avoided even
if you make beta large) if (and only if) you are in 3d and have quadratic or
higher elements. I think that's a pretty crazy result!

That said, he's come up with a scheme that replaces the traditional first
order scheme by something that *is* monotone and, furthermore, that avoids the
difficulty of defining what the mesh size h needs to be in defining the
artificial diffusion. There is no second order scheme yet, though.

I don't know whether that's something relevant to the immediate debate -- I
think we should still see if there's something that can be done about playing
with the regularization parameters. It's something keeping in mind for the
future, though. For now, there is nothing to show -- his paper isn't even
submitted yet :-)

Cheers

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu