[aspect-devel] Fwd: Performance issue with Trilinos solver on Aspect

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 13 19:01:18 PDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Performance issue with Trilinos solver on Aspect
Date: 	Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:48:28 +1000
From: 	Siqi Zhang <siqi.zhang at mq.edu.au>
To: 	bangerth at math.tamu.edu <bangerth at math.tamu.edu>

Hi Dr. Bangerth,

I'm Siqi Zhang a postdoc. in Macquarie University in Sydney who is doing
mantle convection using Aspect. What a amazing software you guys developed!
Currently we try to put a parameterized core evolution code as the bottom
thermal boundary condition to couple core evolution with mantle flow, we may
considering contribute this to aspect later when we make it good looking and
bug free.
However at the moment I have a weird performance issue using both
multi-threads and MPI. The Deal.II and Aspect doing well with both of them,
but the Trilinos solver they use doesn't. When I configure Trilinos without
"Trilinos_ENABLE_OpenMP=ON" it will only work with single thread (check with
top, only one CPU is used). While when I enable it, the solver do use more
cores (also checked with top, multiple CPU used) but the solver works even
slower than the single thread build !!! I wonder if did something wrong in the
configuration and you may give me some hint. Thanks.

By the way, I met your friend Luc in Korea last month, he is a very nice guy.
After knowing I am using deal.II and aspect he pushed me to send you an email.

Regards,

Siqi

--
Siqi Zhang