[aspect-devel] [CIG-ALL] ASPECT 1.0 released

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 23 09:58:57 PDT 2014

Hello Carolina,

We (my group) would be very interested in having this incorporated in Aspect.

We are in the process of finishing our last (ever) CitcomS models and my graduate
student Katrina Arredondo is developing subduction models in Aspect - we want
to include models with compositional layering and phase changes. We had already
"planned' that the right way to do this would be a look-up table but have not
gotten to that part of the project yet.

Katrina will be at CIDER. I could also try to come to CIDER for a few days if there's a group
getting together there to discuss how best to implement this.

Magali

On Apr 23, 2014, at 6:22 AM, Lithgow-Bertelloni, Carolina wrote:

> Thank you both very much for answering so quickly!
>
> Actually, I did not know about BurnMan (apologies!), we are familiar with Perplex because we talk to Jamie Connelly and because
> he implements our formulation for physical properties, especially the shear modulus.
>
> Look forward to the replies from other developers.
>
> All the best,
>
> Carolina
>
> On 23 Apr 2014, at 14:14, Timo Heister <heister at clemson.edu> wrote:
>
>> Carolina,
>>
>> this would be a very interesting project and as Wolfgang writes, this
>> should be possible.
>>
>> You might know about BurnMan (www.burnman.org), which is in some ways
>> similar to HeFESTo. As I am one of the authors, it shouldn't surprise
>> you that we are currently working on a simple example that imports a
>> consistent mineral model into ASPECT. As soon as we got that working
>> we will make this available. This might be a good starting point for
>> you for a more complex model.
>>
>>> - but material models can also get the coefficients from lookup tables and
>>> there is a model that Thomas Geenen has used that does exactly this (I don't
>>> think we include it in the release because it's his data, but you may ask
>>> him for the data or at least for the code -- it's not very complicated).
>>
>> Yes, but the code and a simplified data table for it is in the public
>> code repository (we exclude it from the 1.0 release though).
>>
>> --
>> Timo Heister
>> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/

Professor of Geophysics & UCD Chancellor Fellow
Chair, Geology Graduate Program
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis
Davis, CA 95616
2129 Earth & Physical Sciences Bldg.
Office Phone: (530) 752-4169
http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/billen/