[aspect-devel] ASPECT scaling on a Cray XC30

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 4 07:39:01 PST 2014

On 02/04/2014 04:22 AM, Rene Gassmoeller wrote:
> Ok so finally here is the promised update on the scaling results.
 > [...]

Very cool, thanks for posting these.

I'm running a model with 50M unknowns right now on 128 cores and it's a
bit slow (~7 minutes per time step, quite in line with what you have).
But your data is quite encouraging: if you look at your model with 311M
unknowns, you find these timings:
   768 cores	347s
   1536 cores	174s
   3072 cores	82s
   6144 cores	49s
In other words, you see *strong* scaling all the way to 6k cores (and
better-than-perfect scaling to 3072 cores). In other words, the fact
that my computation is slow is because I'm not using enough cores and I
could run the whole thing at ~7 times faster (1 day instead of 1 week!)
if I used 8 times as many cores. That's good to know!

Cheers
  W.

PS: What is the meaning of the lines where you strike through the numbers?

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu