[aspect-devel] ASPECT scaling on a Cray XC30

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Wed Feb 5 15:44:37 PST 2014

Very nice results. A couple of comments:
- the Stokes solver is not scaling well weakly but looks okay in
strong scaling (I wonder why that is happening because the setup is
not included)
- it looks like scaling with >50k DoFs/core is very good and would
probably go beyond 6k cores - very nice!
- the scaling on a single node is surprisingly good. I wonder if this
is due to the architecture or due to cpu binding (what MPI library are
you using and what options do you specify for mpirun?)
- the Stokes solver always needs something like 30+6 iterations, which
is not ideal. Can you try switching the cheap iterations off and
compare the runtime (a single data point would be enough)?
- can you please post the .prm you used?
- I wonder if it would be worthwhile to look at the second timestep to
ignore effects like MPI buffer creation.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/