[aspect-devel] cylindrical rigid body rotation

Ian Rose ian.rose at berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 27 08:26:14 PST 2014

Hi Cedric and all,

I have also run into this and related issues.  It has to do with the fact
that rigid body modes are in the nullspace of the Stokes operator, and over
many timesteps the solutions can pick up power in those modes without any
effect on the residuals.  You would also see rigid translations in a box
with free slip BCs and periodic boundary conditions.

Note that not only will it mess up the Vrms values, but it can really make
your Courant number plummet unnecessarily.

Citcom has the same phenomenon, and they just subtract off rigid rotations
at every timestep.  I do have some code that addresses this which is not in
the mainline.  I am meeting with Timo in a couple of weeks, perhaps we can
add this to a todo list.

Best,
Ian