[aspect-devel] Error in moving temporary files during output

Rene Gassmoeller rengas at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Jan 14 05:03:01 PST 2014

Hi all and thanks for all the comments.
@Thomas: This is a preparation for a HLRN project (similar to your HLRS
I guess). Do not spend too much time on searching for your notes about
dynamic compiling on a Cray cluster, I can also live with the statically
linked executable for now, but it is good to hear other people have
problems with the Cray compilers, too.

@Timo: I have tried the MPI option, but it does not speed up the output
very much, so I guess there is no use in using it on this particular
system. It removes the warning messages however, and writes a single
file, so it does, what it is supposed to do.

@Wolfgang: Sorry about the ambiguity, in fact I only got warning
messages ("... trying to write directly to file ...") and the models
finished normally. I just thought it might be slowing down performance
(which it does not in the tests I have run so far with the grouped
output option). And yes the problem with statically linking the
executable arises because of the dlopen call in main.cc. The
compiler/linker complains about that, when using the -static flag. In
case somebody wants to statically link an Aspect executable it would be
good to make this option a cmake switch, however I do not know, how many
people would actually need it.

Good news at the end, it seems a recent ASPECT version (2266) scales
well up to 4096 cores (and maybe higher) for a problem size of 300
Million Dofs and the lowest resonable #Dofs per core is still around
50000 - 2*10^5 ... roughly the same as in the publication from 2012. If
anyone is interested I can share some details when I am finished.

Cheers,
Rene