[aspect-devel] Error in moving temporary files during output

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Tue Jan 14 05:37:11 PST 2014

> Timo has already answered this. I only want to add that if you get a single
> file from 4000 cores, what are you going to do with it? Do you have methods
> to actually visualize it?

Yes, it might make sense to implement group_files > 1. Writing one
gigantic file might be problematic (but maybe paraview can handle to
read it in parallel, I have no idea), but writing 4000 files per
timestep doesn't sound like a good idea either, unless your goal is to
crash the NFS server. :-)

> @Timo: I have tried the MPI option, but it does not speed up the output
> very much, so I guess there is no use in using it on this particular
> system. It removes the warning messages however, and writes a single
> file, so it does, what it is supposed to do.

Do you know what kind of filesystem this is?

You might also try hdf5 output, btw.. It uses a different way to write
one large file.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/