[aspect-devel] ASPECT scaling on a Cray XC30

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Fri Jan 17 07:47:12 PST 2014

Rene,

some quick comments (I will look through your data in more detail later):
- you normally start with one full node not 1 core (I assume #CPUS
means number of cores). This is because memory bandwidth is shared
between nodes.
- How many cores are one node on this machine? You fill them with one
thread per core? Be aware that hyperthreading/lower number of floating
point units (on AMD) could mean that using cores/2 is faster than all
cores. You should try that out (not that it matters for scaling,
though)
- weak scaling is normally number of cores vs runtime with a fixed
number of DoFs/core. Optimal scaling are horizontal lines (or you plot
it as cores vs. efficiency)
- assembly might not scale perfectly due to communication to the ghost
neighbors. I have not seen that much in the past, but it depends on
the speed of the interconnect (and if you are bandwidth-limited it
will get slower with number of DoFs/core). You can try to add another
timing section for the matrix.compress() call.
- what are the timings in the first tables? Total runtime? I would
only look at setup, assemble, and solve (and not random stuff like
i/o)
- for later: you need to run identical setups more than once to get
rid of differences in timings

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/