[aspect-devel] problem with ASPECT - the iterative Stokes solver did not converge

Petar Glisovic pglisovic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 15:22:44 PDT 2014

Wolfgang,

First of all, thank you for your quick reply.

This is almost certainly an unrelated observation, but with as few unknowns
> as you have, you should first run small models using only a single
> processor when you try things out.
>
> My rule of thumb is that you can run models with a few 100,000 unknowns on
> a single processor. For parallel computations, you typically don't gain
> anything if you have fewer than 50,000 unknowns per processor -- i.e., in
> your case, 4 or 5 processors is about the optimum.

Thanks for this tip.

subsection Material model
>>      set Model name = Steinberger
>>      subsection Steinberger model
>>          set Bilinear interpolation = true
>>          set Compressible = true
>
> What happens if you set this to false?

The outcome of this action is:
An error occurred in line <3369> of file </RQusagers/glisovic
/deal.II/include/deal.II/lac/trilinos_sparse_matrix.h> in function
    void dealii::TrilinosWrappers::SparseMatrix::add(dealii::
TrilinosWrappers::SparseMatrix::size_type, dealii::TrilinosWrappers::
SparseMatrix::size_type, const size_type*, const double*, bool, bool)
The violated condition was:
    numbers::is_finite(values[j])
The name and call sequence of the exception was:
    ExcNumberNotFinite()
Additional Information:
(none)
The complete log file is attached below.

Petar

--
Petar Glisovic, Dr.
postdoctoral fellow

*address*:  GEOTOP, Université du Québec à Montréal, CP 8888, succursale
Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, Canada H3C 3P8 * | ema**il**: *
pglisovic at gmail.com & glisovic.petar at courrier.uqam.ca*  | phone:
*1-514-987-3000
#3592 & #4600*  | fax:  *1-514-987-3635