[aspect-devel] Aspect melt_fraction

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 11 20:28:39 PDT 2014

On 03/14/2014 03:00 PM, Magali Billen wrote:
> I think it would be great to have a module for calculating melt fraction
> in the main branch. This doesn't come up for every problem, but there's
> often a problem that you're working on and then part way through you
> realize that melt fraction might be helpful.

Juliane has been making more progress on this. But primarily I can't help but
also comment on this:

> If we are looking ahead to more realistic theologic models,

You may be asking for too much here. We strive to provide a good geodynamics
code, but religious models are probably outside of what we can provide :-)

> for example,
> being able to have rheology depend on melt fraction would require
> calculating melt fraction first.

If your melt doesn't migrate, this is already possible. Juliane is working on
models where melt is also migrating.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu