[aspect-devel] Non-dimensional temperature question

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 24 19:10:51 PDT 2014

On 03/24/2014 06:50 PM, Eric Heien wrote:
> I have a question about how non-dimensional temperature is computed in
> postprocess/temperature_statistics.cc.  It seems the current
> non-dimensional temperature is calculated as:
>
> T_nondim = (T_mean)/(T_max - T_min)
>
> However, suppose T_max = 4273, T_min = 973 and T_mean = 3800 (we have a hot
> mantle).  Then the non-dimensional temperature would be
>
> T_nondim = 3800/(4273-973) = 1.15
>
> which seems to be outside the normal non-dimensional bounds of [0,1].
> Wouldn’t the correct equation be
>
> T_nondim = (T_mean - T_min)/(T_max - T_min)
>
> in which case T_nondim would be 0.86.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

You are talking about the block of text that is printed in the first time
step? I've always meant to zap it precisely because of these sorts of issues.
It's gotten in there very early in the development of Aspect, and I believe
was added by someone who just meant to test something. I've never had the
drive to remove it because I didn't want to step on others' feet. Now that
someone else realizes that it's broken, would you mind just deleting the
entire piece of code?

Thanks

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu