[aspect-devel] Direct Solver in Aspect

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Mon May 12 14:36:46 PDT 2014

On 05/12/2014 04:27 PM, Timo Heister wrote:
>> I don't know what solver you intend to use, but the SparseDirectUMFPACK
>> solver can work with BlockSparseMatrix and BlockVector. It would probably
>> not be very difficult to extend it to use BlockMatrixArray, or to do the
>> same with the interfaces to other direct solvers. This may turn out to be
>> less intrusive and more extendible than rearranging the block structure.
>
> No, I plan to use TrilinosWrappers::SolverDirect that can only deal
> with a Trilinos SparseMatrix (not a Trilinos::BlockSparseMatrix).

How difficult would it be to extend TrilinosWrappers::SolverDirect?

>>> 2. fix all the places that assume the current layout (say T is in block 3)
>>
>> Can this be done through appropriate modifications/additions to the
>> Introspection class, rather than scattering if/elses throughout?
>
> As much as possible yes. But there are many places where we assume
> certain block indices (I am going through them right now).

It would be a shame if we needed to push this kind of input flag through all
sorts of code. I hope it can be done without too much clutter in places that
really don't need to know this :-(

Anyway, good feature. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in practice :-)

Cheers

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu