[aspect-devel] Help needed with setting up an EBA benchmark

Thorsten Becker twb at usc.edu
Mon Sep 8 11:30:06 PDT 2014

Hi,

This is a very interesting discussion. I agree with much of what has been
said, but just wanted to add a few comments.

Computing a Rayleigh number can indeed be tricky for cases where parameters
vary in space, and may in fact be cumbersome
for some numerical applications, leading to difficulties for users.
However, I would maintain that the Rayleigh number still holds value in
that, if computed correctly, it provides a valid description for the
average system behavior, i.e. it does exactly what it's meant to do.

There is quite some value in trying to work out what "correctly" means, as
we know, for example, from looking at temperature and/or stress dependent
convection cases in the late 80ies. Average system behavior (in terms of,
say, Nusselt number, or RMS velocities) of complex models can be captured
by rheologically more simple models, if the Rayleigh number is adjusted
properly (e.g. by log averaging viscosity before plugging it into the
Rayleigh number, which may or may not work, depending on loading).
Re-establishing such dynamic similarity is important, and worth the effort,
I would argue, because it allows one to see which aspects of a complex
model's dynamics are truly emergent, and which can simply be attributed to
doing something that, on average, has larger or smaller convective vigor.

This argument speaks to the variations in expansivity, density, viscosity,
diffusivity, total temperature difference, while g should not deviate much
from the 1D average. The fact that the length scale is sometimes causing
confusion is also inherent in the approach. If you want to know the
convective vigor of the system, use the box height. If you're zooming into
the boundary layer, you can get helpful estimates if adjusting length
scales (and see, why, for example the top boundary layer will be thicker
than the bottom for temperature dependent rheologies), but in general the
approach brakes down, as for all such non-dimensional numbers (high
Rayleigh number means advection wins over conduction in the bulk of the
domain, but conduction is important in the boundary layers). There's of
course other options of defining a length scale, e.g. using the radius of
the Earth rather than mantle thickness, but those mainly come down to
converting non-dimensionalization conventions to physically relevant scales
for comparability.

Cheers

Thorsten W Becker - USC
geodynamics.usc.edu <http://geodynamics.usc.edu/~becker>