[aspect-devel] aspect-devel at geodynamics.org

Qingwen Zhang zhangqingwen at live.cn
Mon Apr 20 12:41:30 PDT 2015

Hi, all, I want to benchmark ASPECT with two sandbox shortening and extension (Buiter et al. 2006) to extend the appllication of this marvelous code further to smaller crust-scaled deformation. l find that, to model things in such a smaller scale, some features are needs for ASPECT. 1. A easier way of setup complex geometry domains such as those consisting of several layers or wegdes (or other more complex shapes) is needed. This is beyond the capability of the current geometry model (box, shell, e.g.) provided by ASPECT. 2. A Mohr-Coulomb plastic rheology of sand and relatively weaker beads, which, like several other fundamental rheology (von Mises, P-T dependent Arrhenius viscosity e.g.) is not part of the material models available now, though we have a visco-plastic one named morency doin. 3. Thanks to the ALE and AMR capabiliy of ASPECT, true free surface instead of sticky-air is available. But I notice that surface process (erosion and sedimentation) is neglected so far, which is on the same order of magnitudes with surface uplifting and thus important for topography evolution in geodynamic process like mounltain building and exhumation of deep-buried rock.

So, may I suggest the ASPECT community to implement those features under the deal.II/ASPECT framework to achieve its great potential to be the best geodynamic code?

Regards,
Qingwen