[aspect-devel] Checkpoint I/O access

Timo Heister timo.heister at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 05:00:13 PDT 2015

> for a computing time proposal I am trying to figure out how the I/O
> operations of ASPECT's restart functionality work. I have found that the
> Triangulation::save() function saves most of the data (i.e. mesh and
> solution), but have nowhere found a clear note on how this is actually
> done.

Solution vectors and the mesh are saved by p4est. It is all dumped
into one big file with every processor writing into it (with MPI I/O
if configured with it). You can look at the p4est load() and save()
routines. When saving/loading, they seek to their relevant section in
the file and write/read.

Then there is the status of ASPECT itself, which is serialized and
dumped out. The amount of data should be small though.