[aspect-devel] Free-Surface in 3d

Ian Rose ian.rose at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 6 15:19:56 PDT 2015

Any updates on this, Avery?

With regards to the stabilization and scaling thereof:  The units are the
correct, though the parameters for the stabilization term normally live on
the RHS of the system (namely gravity and density).

One way of looking at this is from the perspective of
nondimensionalization, as Wolfgang said.  The introduction of the free
surface essentially adds a new nondimensional number to the system. There
is a couple of equivalent choices you could make, but one that works is
thinking about the ratio of internal density anomalies (relevant to
convection) to the reference density (which is relevant to relaxation of
the surface).

So the reason convection-box was having difficulties (as far as I can tell)
is that it was assuming that there is only one nondimensional number in the
system (the Rayleigh number), so you can increase gravity with impunity as
long as you decrease some other parameter correspondingly (in this case
thermal expansivity).  When you introduce the free surface, however, there
is an additional nondimensional number, so you need to be a bit more
careful about rescaling various parameters.

As for what to do about this, I am not sure what to say, other than to be
somewhat careful about the system parameters.

Best,
Ian