[aspect-devel] aspect release planning

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 14 16:33:09 PST 2015

On 01/14/2015 05:13 PM, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:
> On 01/14/2015 05:11 PM, Timo Heister wrote:
>> @Wolfgang, did you have a chance to look into the two crashes that are
>> happening there?
>
> I'm on it. I can only reproduce one of them, the other one seems to be a
> misreferenced input file, but I haven't understood yet where the first
> fail comes from. Will report back.

I think there is nothing inherently mysterious about either
   steinberger-viscosity
   steinberger-viscosity-adiabatic
Their respective first time steps previously already took 30+353 and
30+385 iterations, and on the new mesh the first one now needs 30+1761
iterations -- and the second hits the ceiling of 1891 and explodes.
(Subsequent time steps are significant cheaper.)

The thing is that I believe this is entirely coincidental. The viscosity
of both is very inhomogeneous (a picture for one of the cases is
attached): the viscosity changes by 4 orders of magnitude over 1.5
cells. You have to expect that this is slow to converge, we just don't
have a particularly good solver for these cases (we have open bug reports).

I don't know what to do with this particular test, but I don't think it
presents an underlying problem with the patch -- just an underlying
problem with the solver.

You currently hold the master branch for this patch. It doesn't apply
cleanly to master -- can you rebase it and see which tests still fail?

Cheers

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu