[aspect-devel] log file

Austermann, Jacqueline jaustermann at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 10 18:16:38 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

Yes S40RTS is in spherical harmonics and does the depth interpolation through a spline so it takes very long to read in. In fact, for each point of your mesh you iterate 21 * 41 * 42 / 2 = 18081 times to sum over the coefficients. The reason for implementing it this way was to leave the data in their original form. Any resampling can introduce a mismatch to the original data. For practical purposes however it definitely makes sense to precompute the grid and interpolate. For all global calculations I've done I've used a 1 deg x 1 deg grid and interpolated, as Thorsten said. I was actually thinking at the Hackathon that an initial condition that takes a 1 x 1 grid would be a nice addition.

Cheers,
Jacky