[aspect-devel] Free-Surface in 3d

Ian Rose ian.rose at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 22 10:34:09 PDT 2015

​Hi Avery,

So, when I change free-surface.prm to 3d things seem to be working okay.
Perhaps take another crack at that one? However, when I try to give
convection-box-3d.prm a free surface​ I can reproduce the error.  I think I
may have an idea of what is going on, which comes down to the free surface
stabilization term and the conditioning of the Stokes matrix.

If we consider the typical size of entries in the normal system matrix, we
get something like [image: \eta L], where [image: \eta] is the viscosity
and [image: L] is a lengthscale for the cells.  For free surface problems,
the surface should be stabilized.  The stabilization term is typically of
order [image: \rho g \Delta t L^2].  The ratio of the size of the
stabilization term to the normal matrix elements is then [image: \rho g L
\Delta t / \eta]. For most problems of geophysical relevance this term will
be on the small (but not negligible, since we need it for stabilization!)
side, something like [image: 10^{-1} - 10^{-2}],

However, the convection-box-3d parameter file has some odd values which
change the story.  In particular, the value for gravity is large ([image:
10^{16}]!!) and the value for viscosity is small (1).  So the stabilization
term absolutely dominates the matrix entries by around nine or ten orders
of magnitude.  You can imagine that that would be bad.  I would note that
the unusual values for the convection-box parameter files have caused
problems in the past, see, for example issue #94.  Perhaps Wolfgang or Timo
would have some further insight here.

Okay, so the TL;DR version of this is (1) try free-surface.prm again, I
think it may work, and (2) try convection-box-3d.prm with more reasonable
model parameters.

Hope this helps!
Ian