[aspect-devel] inconsistency in use of x, y, and z

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 10 10:19:47 PDT 2015

Hello,

I'm working through issue with my undergraduate student, and I just want to point out an inconsistency
that leads to unnecessary confusion. I'm not sure what the fix is however.

In 2D the dimension of the box are set with X extent and Y extent. However, for the initial temperature
function, the variables that need to be used are x and z.

It seems to me that the dimension and axis of the 2D model should be X and Z and that adding the third
dimension should add the Y dimension.

Is there any chance of making this change - or is it just too late??

This is also an issue with the boundary indicators.  To easily move from a 2D to a 3D model, the boundary
indicators for left, right, bottom, top should remain 0-3 and adding the third dimension should add the boundary indicators 4 and 5 for the front and back.  I know you can get around this by using the words "front",  "back", etc...
but this seems like a weird way of counting things
Professor of Geophysics & UCD Chancellor Fellow
Chair, Geology Graduate Program
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Room 2129 Earth & Physical Sciences Bldg.
Office Phone: (530) 752-4169
http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/billen/