[aspect-devel] Different workflow‏ for complex geometry & material set-up

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Fri May 22 20:17:06 PDT 2015

Zhang,

> How can I implement a new way to fill different materials into different part
> of a geometry models? This is inspired by the ANSYS Fluent workflow, which I
> think is very intuitive and follows "industry standard", while ASPECT show
> poor control of What Material in Where.

ASPECT is only an open source project developed by people for their own needs.
If you need a feature that isn't there yet, you are welcome to implement it
yourself and make it available to others!

> The ANSYS Fluent workflow is something like:
> *step-1:* generate or import a shape/mesh and index its components (i.e.,
> points, edges, faces, bodies) and index them with indicators (this is partly
> demonstrated in deal.ii tutorial program step-49, step-54);
> *step-2:* define materials desperately in a .prm file and index them with
> indicators, too. (How?)
> *step-3:* fill different materials into curtain part of the geometry, this can
> be manipulated precisely with the help of material and geometry indicators. (How?)
> *step-4:* impose boundary conditions and initial conditions exactly onto
> prescribed point/face/body of a geometry model indexed with indicators in
> step-1. (This is not new for ASPECT).
> *step-5:* import data for further post process.
>
> The step-2 and step-3 are new(?) or unconventionalfor current ASPECT. Perhaps
> I need to reorganize existing material model and find a way to put them together.

The material models get the physical location of every evaluation point in the
MaterialModelInputs structure. It should be relatively easy for you to write a
material model (for example, by cloning one of the existing material models)
that make a decision about the part of the domain you are in based on this
location, and then use different parameter values there.

There is also a patch in progress
(https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/361) that would make the cell
itself available to material models via the MaterialModelInputs structure.
This would allow your material model to query the material_id of a cell and
make decisions based on this as well. The patch should be in final version
tomorrow or so and will then be available in the current development sources.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu