[aspect-devel] A step-by-step ASPECT installation workflow on linux machine.

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Sat May 23 13:58:52 PDT 2015

Just a quick comment browsing the instructions:

I would like to discourage compiling MPI by yourself. On workstations
you should be able to install it from your package manager (OpenMPI or
mpich) without problems and on clusters MPI is already installed.

Reasons against installing it by yourself:
- it is difficult and time consuming
- if some other MPI library is already installed (or part of it, say
the binaries only) or will be installed later, your application will
break in weird ways. (at compile time, when launching, or even just
crashing randomly). Mixing MPI libraries is a common problem.
- You will have a very hard time configuring MPI correctly for your
machine, especially if you are on a supercomputer with special
interconnect. Additionally, there are many tuning parameters that the
sysadmins are better at picking. In the best case it will be orders of
magnitude slower, in the worst case it will also (randomly) fail.

In summary: don't compile MPI yourself if you can avoid it.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/