[aspect-devel] How to grab the radius of every interior sphere made up from cell faces in the domain and some MPI questions

Shangxin Liu sxliu at vt.edu
Thu Oct 22 09:32:29 PDT 2015

Hi;

To make the problems more explicit, here I attach the formulas. After
transferring the surface topo, CMB topo, and each depth's density anomaly
into spherical harmonic coefficients, the geoid anomaly is computed in this
way:

[image: Inline image 1]
G is the gravitational constant, g is the gravity, n,m are spherical
harmonic order and degree. The first item is the integral from core mantle
boundary r_c to surface r_s of the density anomaly spherical harmonic
coefficient. The second term is the contribution from surface dynamic topo,
delta_rho_s is the density contrast between mantle and sea water. The third
term is the contribution from CMB dynamic topo, delta_rho_c is the density
contrast throughout the core mantle boundary.

For the numerical integral of the first term, my question is how to fast
grab the radius of each spherical layer determined by the cells' upper face
in ASPECT/deal.ii (In 0 initial refinement degree, there are three values
(3480,4501,6371); in 1 initial refinement degree, there are 5 values...). I
think my current approach to loop over every cell and remove the same upper
face radius from the cells at the same depth then put all the radius values
into a vector is not efficient enough and will also not work in parallel
computing.

Best,

Shangxin