[aspect-devel] "Not converge" problem with variable viscosity.

Scott King sking07 at vt.edu
Tue Sep 8 06:19:29 PDT 2015

This is helpful, but it is important to remember that CitcomS solves for pressure,
then uses the pressure field to solve for velocity.  Thus it is really going to be hard
to determine equivalent tolerances because the matrices come from entirely different
equations, let alone different element types.

I’m somewhat less concerned with a point-wise comparison of solutions, as this
can be very tricking for the reasons you point out, amongst others.   For many
problems there are well-defined global diagnostics, Nusselt number, rms velocity,
horizontally averaged functions.

I think a potential approach that addresses my interests as a researcher is to look at
each method separately and vary the resolution and tolerance for a set problem
(problems) and look at how these changes the characteristics that are typically used
in analysis.   The compare the ensemble of solutions.  Trying to map the two codes
one to one with corresponding grid and tolerance is likely to be unproductive.  Besides
I think we really want to know how much extra it ‘costs’ to increase the resolution or
to increase the tolerance, or whether doing so changes any of the diagnostics that
one typically uses for analysis.