[aspect-devel] Van Keken et al. 2008 subduction benchmark

Scott King sdk at vt.edu
Fri Dec 9 01:22:58 PST 2016

Max;

Do you use a linear ramp something from the point where the slab meets the over-riding plate down into the wedge?   This *smooths* the discontinuity (at least as far as the wedge sees it).  With this the pressure fields in the wedge seems to become more smooth for many codes.   I always had to you a much larger "ramp" (25,-50 km) because my elements were not refined as much as Herr. Dr. Prof. van Keken.   This puts the discontinuity into the part of the domain where the velocities are entirely prescribed.  It seems to be ok for some codes because they don't "solve" any equation when all the velocities are prescribed.  Years of arguing and twiddling.

Scott