[aspect-devel] ASPECT newsletter

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Sun Feb 21 12:07:24 PST 2016

Hello everyone!

We are currently considering implementing an automated regular (biweekly
or monthly) newsletter that summarizes the latest developments inside of
ASPECT and would like to ask for your opinion on this issue.
The reasoning behind this idea is that most of the "developer" talk
about new features has moved to the Github platform
(https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect), but Github offers no option of
only receiving a summary email, you either get only emails mentioning
you, or you get all about ASPECT - possibly a hundred per week in busy
weeks.
On the other hand only reading the changelog
(https://aspect.dealii.org/doc/doxygen/changes_current.html) for every
new release every 6 months or so keeps you out of the loop for a long time.

We are aware that you might already get a bunch of newsletters and we do
not want to spam this mailing list, so I would like to ask for opinions
on the following questions:

1. Would you consider such newsletters spam, or would you feel it makes
your life easier following the development of ASPECT?
2. Would you prefer a monthly or biweekly interval?
3. Are you only interested in merged features (pull requests) or are you
also interested in a list of recently opened/finished discussions
(issues) to keep up-to-date with bug reports, feature requests, and so on?

I have posted an example for such a newsletter below, so that you can
get a feeling for how it would look like.

Let me know what you think about this idea (otherwise I will try to make
a best guess :-)),

Best regards,
Rene

Hello everyone!

This is the biweekly ASPECT newsletter.
Below you find a list of recently merged features and links to the discussions about them:

#758 Indent #include statements inside #ifdef...#endif. https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/758
#753 Rename parameters https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/753
#752 Visualization improvements https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/752
#750 Postprocessor for executing shell commands. https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/750
#748 Use mapping for output interpolation https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/748
#747 Use static_cast<int> inside each call to std::abs() in gplates.cc https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/747
#661 Implement interior penalty discontinuous Galerkin method for temperature field. https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/661

Thanks for being part of the community!

Let us know about questions, problems, bugs or just share your experience by writing to aspect-devel at geodynamics.org, or by opening issues or pull requests at https://www.github.com/geodynamics/aspect.

Additional information can be found at https://aspect.dealii.org/, https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/aspect/, and https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect.