[aspect-devel] A weird error with MPI postprocessing

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Mon Feb 29 14:45:03 PST 2016

On 02/29/2016 04:17 PM, FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA wrote:

> I am running simple convection in a brick with lengths (2,1,1). I am just
> using the 3D-convection example from the cookbook and simply modifying it to
> be a brick and not a cube. I have succeeded, slowly, at Ra10^6. Nevertheless,
> only some of the output files are readable.
>
>      I reached a maximum time of t=0.00450949 seconds  (with a max time =1)
>

> Now I am trying to modify that brick, with a different initial condition on
> temperature, putting instead a 3D Gaussian, at the brick's center, with
> amplitude of 0.01 or 0.02, and radial length scale of 0.25 (dies-off well
> inside the brick).
>
>      I have not been able to get readable .pvtu files, with error messages like:
>
>             'File for piece xy cannot be read'           (with xy being a cell
> number)
>
>    I can only load some vtu parts of the domain..

That certainly makes not much sense. I haven't seen any of these problems. To
me, this looks like either you run out of disk space (or disk quota, if your
system administrators impose one), or indeed some instability of the cluster.

I know this is not a satisfactory answer for you, but I would suspect that you
would have these same problems with any other parallel code you run there.
Nothing of these error messages seems to me to be specific to ASPECT :-(

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu