[aspect-devel] Aspect-devel Digest, Vol 50, Issue 2

Nan Zhang Nan.Zhang at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jan 12 18:10:50 PST 2016

Hi Max,

> The "depth dependent" material model gets depth directly, so there's no
> need to calculate the radius in this manner:
>
>   subsection Depth dependent model
>     set Base model = simple
>     set Depth dependence method = Function
>     subsection Viscosity depth function
>       set Variable names = d
>       set Function expression = if(d>6.70e5,3.0e22,1.0e21);
>     end
>   end

Before I try this, I have several detail questions. when we set "Base model
= simple" under "Depth dependent model", could we use the "set Density
differential for composition field 1 = 0.2" to set up the composition field
in the "Depth dependent model"?

> If you prefer to use a file that specifies the depth-dependent prefactor,
> take a look at these files:
>
> https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/tests/depth_dependent_box_file_simple.prm
> https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/tests/visc_depth.txt

I read the example, while wonder if this 2D box also works for the
spherical shell? I guess it is.

> If you read the prefactor from a file, the prefactor is interpolated
> (linearly), whereas if you provide the prefactor using a list of depths and
> prefactors, the prefactor is piecewise constant and each depth provided
> specifies the bottom of a layer. In retrospect, we could have added an
> option to specify the interpolation method for each case.

I have a general question. I am trying to repeat our CitcomS model (Zhang
et al., 2010, JGR; Zhong & Rudolph, 2015, G^3). Have you already try them
on ASPECT?

Cheers,
Nan