[aspect-devel] Aspect hangs after several time steps

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Thu Jan 28 14:40:39 PST 2016

> Thanks for pointing this out. I reran the setup in Debug mode on 1 core and
> the only error messages I got were related to the the names of the
> compositional fields. After 12 hours of running there is not a single
> message neither in stdout nor in stderr. Am I doing something wrong? Do I
> need manually edit the Makefile to add compilation options like -Wall or
> -O0? How can I see these errors?

You might have a system where ASPECT_USE_FP_EXCEPTIONS is not
supported (take a look at your detailed.log in your aspect build
directory). This will generate several of the errors I listed. Just
read the errors I posted.

> Also, my understanding was that a division by zero error prevents the code
> from continuing to run, which happened a lot (even when running in release
> mode) before I added a couple checks in the plugin, but never happened after
> it. How does Aspect even run if I have such errors?

You might be doing a division by zero without using the result later on.

> Also, this expression contains no divisions, so I don't understand how this
> can be a division by zero error...

Read my email again, the error is that you are reading from
in.strain_rate even if it is a vector of size zero (no strain rate
available). That is undefined behavior.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/