[aspect-devel] The input for limiting the mesh refinement area

Nan Zhang Nan.Zhang at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jan 29 03:50:13 PST 2016

Hi all,

I added the "maximum refinement function" into shell_simple_3d.prm like:
subsection Mesh refinement
  set Initial global refinement          = 2
  set Initial adaptive refinement        = 4
  set Time steps between mesh refinement = 15
  set Strategy                           = temperature, maximum refinement
function

  subsection Maximum refinement function
    set Coordinate system = spherical
    set Function constants =
    set Variable names = r,phi,theta
    set Function expression = theta<1.0472      #60 degree
  end
end
I tried to limit mesh refinement into a region of colatitude smaller than
60 degree. The mesh I got is attached. It seems that the north 60o region
has been refined, or other region is coarsen? What I don't understand is
the (1) how to connect the initial global refinement 2 with this figure?
(2) as well as the initial adaptive refinement = 4? (3) how to see the
"maximum refinement level" in the north 60o region?

Bests,
Nan