[aspect-devel] S40RTS and thermal boundary layers

Marie Kajan marie.kajan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 09:28:32 PDT 2016

Hey all,

Quick question. I'm not sure if this is specific to how ASPECT works or
just my chosen parameters, but I'm using the S40RTS perturbation with the
simple compressible material model and can already see boundary layers in
my temperature profile at the first time step. Can anyone tell me where
these come from? Are they imposed by ASPECT due to my temperature boundary
conditions, and how?

I'll paste my parameter file minus output settings below. Thanks!

Marie

---

set Dimension                              = 3
set Start time                             = 0
set End time                               = 0
set Linear solver tolerance                = 1e-5
set Max nonlinear iterations               = 100
set Nonlinear solver scheme                = iterated IMPES
set Nonlinear solver tolerance             = 1e-5
set Number of cheap Stokes solver steps    = 0
set Output directory                       =
/RQexec/mnk/aspect/output_shell_simple_3d_freeslip_s40rts_compressible
set Use years in output instead of seconds = true

subsection Boundary temperature model
  set Model name = spherical constant

  subsection Spherical constant
    set Inner temperature = 4000
    set Outer temperature = 300
  end
end

subsection Discretization
  set Use locally conservative discretization = false

  subsection Stabilization parameters
    set alpha = 2
    set beta  = 0.117
    set cR    = 0.5
  end
end

subsection Geometry model
   set Model name = spherical shell

  subsection Spherical shell
    set Inner radius = 3481000
    set Outer radius = 6371000
  end
end

subsection Gravity model
  set Model name = radial earth-like
end

subsection Heating model
  set List of model names = adiabatic heating

  subsection Adiabatic heating
    set Use simplified adiabatic heating = true
  end
end

subsection Initial conditions
  set Model name = S40RTS perturbation

  subsection S40RTS perturbation
    set Data directory                                               =
/home/mnk/aspect-1.4.0/data/initial-conditions/S40RTS/
    set Initial condition file name                                  =
S40RTS.sph
    set Remove degree 0 from perturbation                            = true
    set Spline knots depth file name                                 =
Spline_knots.txt
    set Thermal expansion coefficient in initial temperature scaling = 3e-5
    set Vs to density scaling                                        = 0.2
  end
end

subsection Material model
  set Model name = simple compressible
end

subsection Mesh refinement
  set Initial adaptive refinement = 0
  set Initial global refinement   = 4
end

subsection Model settings
  set Fixed temperature boundary indicators   = inner, outer
  set Tangential velocity boundary indicators = inner, outer
  set Remove nullspace                        = net rotation
end